About

Zann | Eighteen | Twitter

I absolutely love eating

I mean, who doesn't right? So I blog about food, along with the occasional posts about school

Don't hesitate to leave me some recommendations!

Thursday 24 January 2013

320 Below Nitro Cream Cafe

You'd think that my trip to Strictly Pancakes would stop me from having sweet stuff for a period of time. I thought so too, but NOPE NOT HAPPENING.

The ice cream scene is becoming more and more popular these days. Ice cream cafes are popping out in all corners of Singapore and it's harder to decide on a place to have ice cream as compared to the past. Upper Thomson already has about 5 of them just along that stretch of road!

So what can an ice cream cafe do to enable them to stand out from the rest?


Serve liquid nitrogen ice cream.

Liquid nitrogen is -320°, hence the name Below 320 Nitro Cream Cafe. Believe it or not, the whole idea is not all that new. Using liquid nitrogen to make ice cream dates back to over a hundred years. It is however, a relatively fresh idea around here.

I remember watching some cooking show a long time ago where the chef prepared ice cream using liquid nitrogen. It was one of those things that I never thought I'd have the chance to try (just like Gordon Ramsay's creations, sigh). When my friend Sihan mentioned about this being available in Singapore, I knew I had to try it.


Love the ambience. All these little works of art from different people makes the place more welcoming. It's like leaving your mark before you leave. The colour palette of the cafe is an instant mood lifter — exactly what an ice cream cafe should be like!


My eyes went darting around the menu once I stepped into the shop. Seeing it now, I realised I missed out on some awesome sounding flavours. Peanut butter, milk chocolate, toffee... and um, garlic?! That's new. Ah, how I hate making decisions. Some flavours even allow you to choose from soya base, yoghurt or sorbet.

Thank goodness for the help I received from one of the lovely owners! She recommended some of their more popular flavours and eventually I went with Christmas Horlicks (Horlicks ice cream x honeycomb x oreo, $5.30), while Sihan got Green Tea ($4.50).

Then, we wait for our ice cream to be scooped "magically appear".


Did I just pay for a disappearing act? (Sadly, no)


Throwing the ingredients into the cauldron for a frozen creamy elixir. Yum!


For 5 bucks you get to witness your ice cream freshly made right in front of your eyes. Pretty worth the money if you ask me. No preservatives, artificial flavourings are used in the making of this dessert. What is used is lesser sugar! (insert healthier choice symbol here)

Watching the whole process made me feel like a little kid again. 



The ice cream was SO smooth and creamy! I'd give it two thumbs up :)

320 Below Nitro Cream Cafe recently opened in October, and it is definitely a place you should check out. I mean, they prepare their ice cream using liquid nitrogen. Need I say more?


320 Below Nitro Cream Cafe
33 Mackenzie Road
#01-01, Singapore

Food: 4.5/5
Atmosphere: 4/5
Value for your money: 4.5/5
Accessibility: 4.5/5 (Little India MRT, exit A)

5 comments:

  1. The ambience of the cafe looks modern, comparable to Cold Stone / DailyScoop. Neon lights with vapour, AWESOME!. Thanks for the introduction, might have missed out on a wonderful Ice-cream cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope that you'll love the cafe as much as I do if you decide to drop by :)

      Delete
  2. Ah you have just lightened my burden to find a place for a date! And the ice cream looks really good. Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tastes as good as it looks! No problem, glad to be of some help :)

      Delete